The Iowa Talented and Gifted Association is a tax-exempt 501(c)3 organization which was organized more than 40 years ago with a vision that gifted and talented children in the State of Iowa should receive an education commensurate with their abilities and needs. ITAG is an affiliate of the National Association for Gifted Children.
ITAG promotes advocacy at the national, state and local levels, pre-service and in-service training in gifted education, and parent/community awareness, education and involvement. ITAG is comprised of parents, educators, other professionals, and community leaders who share an interest in the growth and development of gifted and talented individuals in Iowa.
The mission of the Iowa Talented and Gifted Association is to recognize, support, and respect the unique and diverse needs of talented and gifted learners through
by encouraging informed educational professionals, parents, policy makers, and all other stakeholders to take appropriate action for the benefit of talented and gifted learners.
by strengthening and encouraging the recognition and implementation of practices that support identification of talented and gifted learners and accommodation of the social, emotional, and intellectual levels.
by increasing opportunities for collaboration and cooperation among all stakeholders with the goal of advancing the abilities and developing the potential of talented and gifted learners.
What ITAG Does
ITAG hosts annual conference in October that features national and local experts on gifted education.
The ITAG News
ITAG’s newsletter, ITAG News, is published in January, May, and September. ITAG News:
- Provides articles for classroom teachers, teachers of the gifted, parents, administrators, and advocates
- Provides information regarding available resources for those interested in gifted education
- Updates state and federal legislative activity
- Informs and updates readers on state and national issues
Legislation and Advocacy
- Develops resolutions and beliefs
- Monitors current legislation and legislative activity
- Advocates to encourage support of gifted education